Friday 26 December 2014

Hanooz Delhi Durast

Your indifference appals me,
For isn't there so much to do already
If we are to keep this country steady
The noose is tightening that will spell our death,
But have you prepared to fight it off as yet?

I see not
For you are as jingoistic as your fathers,
Proud -and stubborn
with their Chagatai chadars.

You think it's far away-the danger's not near,
But let me assure you otherwise my dear.
Do you remember the tale of the drunken Sultan of Delhi,
When he cried Hanooz Delhi Dur Ast*
And went on with his cup of wine.

But they did not spare him did they,
Not even the deers in his courtyard-
leaving a mountain of decapitated bodies to decay

So take heed and pull a fast one,
For time and tide waits for none.

*Muhammad Shah Rangeela was the Sultan of Delhi who was completely enamoured with drink, music and women to notice that the once powerful Mughal empire was crumbling around him.
 He was drunk to his gills, in the Diwane Khas in Delhi, when a courtier arrived and told him that Nadir Shah of Persia had set out to invade India . From the haze Rangeela was in, he muttered, "Hanooz Delhi Dur Ast".’Delhi is still far away’.
 When his courtiers told him that the Persian army had reached the borders, he replied "Hanooz Delhi Dur Ast". When the Persian army reached the castle gates, the courtiers once again brought it to his notice, to which he again repeated "Hanooz Delhi Dur Ast" and went on drinking until the army entered the castle itself, looted the royal treasury, killed a hundred thousand people and built a mountain out of skulls.

2 comments:

  1. Fasihaaaaa this is too good!!! I never knew you do poetry PLUS I just came across this blog which you never told me about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yumna
    Thank you so much. I just returned to my blog to write a poem I had an idea about, finding your comment now makes me want to write more and more!
    And about not telling you I guess it never came up.

    ReplyDelete